Any special branch within the formative offer of the MIPE program revolves around four types of subjects: compulsory, common and specialty subjects; optional subjects; external professional training or training in research; and Final Master Thesis.
In order to achieve the recognition of Master of Science in Educational Psychology, the students must accomplish a minimum of 90 credits of subjects according to the following distribution:
- 18 credits of common compulsory subjects;
- 12 credits of compulsory specialty subjects for the Psychoeducational Intervention and Improvement of Educational Practices and Psychoeducational Research students, and 24 credits of compulsory specialty subjects for the Psychoeducational Intervention in Secondary Education students.
- 36 credits of optional subjects for the Psychoeducational Intervention and Improvement of Educational Practices and Psychoeducational Research students, and 24 credits of optional subjects for the Psychoeducational Orientation in Secondary Education students.
- 14 credits of external professional training or research training;
- 10 credits of Final Master Thesis.
In addition, within the credits corresponding to optional subjects:
- A minimum of 12 credits must be chosen among those offered by the Universitat de Barcelona;
- A minimum of 12 credits must be chosen among those offered by the other four participating universities: Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Universitat de Girona, Universitat Ramon Llull and Universitat de Vic-Universitat Central de Catalunya.
Credits corresponding to remedial courses that some students might have to perform in order to be fully admitted to the program deal with basic psychological processes, human learning psychology, developmental psychology, educational psychology and research methodology in educational and psychological research. They correspond to subjects of the Grade of Psychology. The Coordination Committee will establish in each individual case the specific content of these remedial courses, according to the prior knowledge of the students and the current organisation of the Grade of Psychology at the Universitat de Barcelona.
According to the current legislation, students must enrol in a minimum of 20 credits and a maximum of 60 credits each academic year. Consequently, since the completion of the masters program requires a minimum of 90 credits, the masters program might be accomplished in a minimum of three semesters.
Each subject is offered at one semester only during each academic course. The only exception would be external professional training, research training and the supervision of the Final Master Thesis, which are offered in both semesters.
The face class sessions are held on the premises of the university offering the course; thus , students are the ones who have to travel to one or another university according to the enrolled subjects. The three languages of the master –Catalan, Spanish and English– will be used to facilitate the communication with students from outside Catalunya.